A balanced and healthy diet is essential in order to be healthy and feel good about ourselves. In recent years there has been a great deal of concern about how one should eat, but also confusion in relation to this issue. In the end, however, it seems that the moves we have to make are rather simple.
These moves are inspired by our ancestors and can be found more in the survival book – The Lost Ways 2nd Edition.
Tips on how we can improve our diet:
- We consume foods from all groups. All foods are necessary, while no food alone contains all the nutrients in the necessary quantities. But some foods need to be consumed more than others.
- We consume more starchy foods rich in fiber, such as bread and whole grains, raw rice, legumes.
- We eat more fruits and vegetables. 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day help us to supplement the necessary vitamins, but also to get enough without taking many calories. 1 bowl of seasonal salad and 3-4 fruits cover us within a day.
- We reduce fatty foods, avoid “fast” food that is rich in fat and salt and limit the consumption of red meat (beef, pork, lamb) to no more than 3-4 times a month. We prefer vegetable oils and especially olive oil. Also, foods with “good” fat are unsalted, uncooked fruits and fatty fish (sardines, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout), which should be present regularly in our diet.
- Avoid the much sugar that is present in sweets and soft drinks but also in various standard foods such as biscuits, croissants, yogurt desserts of the trade.
- We eat moderate portions and frequent meals. This helps us to have the right body weight because in this way we do not stay hungry for many hours so that we get hungry intensely at the next meal and at the same time avoid a large amount of food.
- We drink water! Usually, 8 glasses a day can meet our needs, as long as we eat balanced.
- We enjoy the food. Eating balanced does not mean depriving or being oppressed. I eat when I’m really hungry, I stop eating when I’m full, and I enjoy my meal by spending time on it to eat calmly.
FoodNurish is the leading blog on Longevity, health, nutrition, and well-being. Produces research-based content on a regular basis and also contributes to various health publications around the world. Its goal is to spread knowledge around health topics and to inspire people to change their lives.