The commonly used quick therapies for healing have been the natural spices since ancient times.
Besides having many uses in different cuisines, spices also have anti-inflammatory properties and are very beneficial in treating various health problems. The most commonly used and amazing spice is the turmeric.
Turmeric has many different purposes in cooking, in the cosmetics industry and it is also very efficient in treating inflammation and pain, lowers the risk of cancer and it is often used to heal wounds.
Turmeric has numerous different forms, and it is not easy to decide about just one. So here, we will help you with that question.
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric has many different compounds and they all have different effects, but the highest amount in turmeric is the compound curcumin and it can also be found in other things such as ginger.
Here are some of the health benefits of turmeric:
- anticancer prperties
- lowers Arthritis pain
- anti-inflammatory properties
- anti- allergies properties
- treats depression
- reduces the risk of heart attack
- regulates diabetes
Turmeric for Inflammation
There are various reasons for an inflammation in the body. There are two different types of inflammation – chronic inflammation and acute inflammation, and because of this the treatment period is very annoying and difficult.
Acute inflammation is a result of an injury and it can develop rapidly, and on the other hand, chronic inflammation is continuous and it can last for many months or years.
Inflammation can impact the overall health in many forms, and it can lead to heart disease, obesity, arthritis, asthma, cancer and many others, and this is mostly about chronic inflammation.
Dr. Mercola has written an article in which she clarifies that the chronic inflammation can cause heart-related problems and cancer. And it is the reason for the release of free radicals in the body.
The difference between supplements and whole turmeric
The difference is that the active compound of turmeric – curcumin is also present in big amount in the supplement form. So in comparison, 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder contains 15 mg of curcumin, while 500mg of curcumin are contained in a supplement.
It is always better to choose the fresh and raw turmeric, even though turmeric can be found in powder form.
Fresh turmeric has very intense flavor, so in some cases and for certain people it is best to use the supplement form. Also the supplements are abundant in needed essential oils.
The disadvantages of taking turmeric supplements
Do not take turmeric supplements in case you:
- are pregnant – it increases the risks of miscarriage
- you want to conceive and you have problems getting pregnant
- have gallstones or gallbladder disease
- have surgery in the following two weeks
- are taking medication that hinder clotting such as aspirin – it can lead to bruising and bleeding
- suffer from stomach problems – it can cause diarrhea, nausea, and/or gastric irritation
- are taking medication for diabetes – can cause hypoglycemia
- have iron deficiency
Use and dosage of Turmeric
The University of Maryland’s Complementary and Alternative Medicine Guide conducted a study to discover the proper dosage of turmeric for optimal results:
- Dried, powdered root: 1-3 grams/day
- Cut root: 1.5-3 grams/day
- Tincture (1:2): 15-30 drops 4 times a day
- Fluid extract (1:1): 30-90 drops/day
- Standardized powder supplement: 400-600 mg 3 times a day
So it is recommended to incorporate turmeric into your daily diet and also other spices too. You will not regret doing this and will enjoy all the benefits that it offers.