We have prepared a list of medications that can be the reason for serious damage to the kidneys and it is not a very short list but we have managed to choose the top ten. They are listed by their type, for example, analgesic, antibiotic, etc.
Top 10 medications that cause serious kidney damage:
- Antibiotics – sulfonamides, vancomycin, methicillin, ciprofloxacin
- Analgesics -- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID): naproxen, ibuprofen, aspirin and many others, as well as acetaminophen.
- COX-2 inhibitors – celecoxib (Celebrex). Rofecoxib (Vioxx) and valdecoxib (Bextra) have been removed from the stores because of the cardiovascular toxicity. This type of drug are a special class of NSAID and they were produced to be much safer but they actually are equally damaging for the kidneys.
- Heartburn drugs of the proton pump inhibitor class -- esomeprazole (brand names Nexium, Esotrex), rabeprazol (brand names Rabecid, Aciphex), omeprazole (brand name Prilosec), pantoprazole (brand name Protonix), lansoprazole (brand name Prevacid).
- Antiviral medications – tenofovir and indinavir -- both used to treat HIV, acyclovir (brand name Zovirax) -- used for herpes infection,
- High blood pressure drugs -- captopril (brand name Capoten)
- Rheumatoid arthritis drugs -- infliximab (brand name Remicade), Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine -- are used to treat malaria and systemic lupus erythematosus as well as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Lithium for bipolar disorder
- Anticonvulsants -- trimethadione (brand name Tridione) and phenytoin (brand name Dilantin) for seizures and other conditions
- Chemotherapy medications -- propylthiouracil, used to treat overactive thyroid, anti-thyroid drugs, bevacizumab, interferons, quinine, tacrolimus, cyclosporine, carboplatin, cisplatin, pamidronate and mitomycin C
We hope that we have helped you in any way at least by informing you about the dangers of these medications.