Almost everyone has a jar of Vaseline in their medicine cabinet. Numerous people say that it is highly beneficial in treating dry skin, diaper rash and chapped lips. But what they do not know is that Vaseline is more dangerous and causes side-effects that it does any good.
What is Petroleum Jelly?
Vaseline is also known as the petroleum jelly, is made with the process of oil refining and they get a byproduct. In the middle 1800s, it was first found as a product that was coating the oil rigs. Because it is byproduct gotten from the oil industry, it is not eco-friendly and it is an unsustainable resource.
How does it work?
Vaseline is used in many products like lotions to even baby products, and it has the ability to keep the skin moisturized by making a protective barrier on the skin. This barrier can also close the bacteria and the residue because it is waterproof and closes all the pores on the skin. In case it is used on sunburn or a burn, it actually blocks the heat inside and interrupts the healing process. But there is more to it. Here are four more reasons why you must avoid using Vaseline immediately:
1. It promotes Collagen Breakdown
Because the Vaseline has the ability to create a protective barrier, it results with preventing the skin to get all the needed nutrients and it disables normal breathing to the skin. When this happens, the skin takes all the needed nutrients and moisture from inside and this causes collagen breakdown.
2. It causes Pneumonia
Even though lipid pneumonia doesn’t appear very often, it can occur in the case when we inhale or there is a buildup of petroleum jelly in the lungs. In this case, the result can be a severe inflammation in the lungs, because the body is not able to break down or metabolize the substance.
3. It is full with harmful hydrocarbons
The petroleum jelly stays on the skin as a barrier for longer period, because the skin cannot break it down. And the petroleum jelly does not give any positive benefits to the body. One study which was conducted in 2011, discovered strong proof that the ‘greatest contaminant of the human body are actually the mineral oil hydrocarbons that are contained in the Vaseline.
4. It can result with estrogen dominance
Decreased levels of progesterone and increased levels of estrogen can result with estrogen dominance in the body. It can also be the cause for autoimmune problems, allergies, menstrual problems and infertility. This is mostly due to xenoestrogens which have the ability to increase problems with estrogen, and this substance Is contained in Vaseline.
Natural Alternatives to Vaseline
You can change the Vaseline with some other natural alternatives, and do not experience any side-effects. Here are some of the better options to use instead of Vaseline:
- Beeswax – this is a better product to use instead of Vaseline. You can prepare your own natural beauty product to improve the health of your skin. You can also put it in the body cream or homemade lip balm.
- Cocoa Butter – Cocoa butter is full with beneficial fatty acids and antioxidants. It can be very beneficial in preventing premature aging.
- Shea Butter – It is rich in vitamins A, E and F, shea butter also has beneficial fatty acids and can nourish the skin. It also has the ability to promote the production of collagen and treat inflammation.
- Coconut Oil – Coconut oil is also very beneficial. It is rich in anti-inflammatory compounds, lauric acids and fatty acids, and can nourish the skin.