Muffins are always great thing to prepare for breakfast because they are very healthy and delicious meal. This is our favorite recipe and you will find out why. This is not only because it has great taste, but also because it has numerous health benefits from the various ingredients in it – nothing more than sweet potato.
You can also replace it with pumpkin, but would you? The sweet potato makes the taste of the muffins delicious, sweet, and also earthy flavor that goes perfect in the combination with maple syrup. And now let us introduce you to the magic health benefits that the sweet potato has.
Reasons for eating sweet potato
Besides having great taste, sweet potato contains a lot of anti-inflammatories and antioxidants.
Beta-carotene is contained inside the flesh of sweet potato- which is an antioxidant that is powerful in fighting the harmful free radicals in the body. These radical are capable of disrupting the DNA makeup of the cells and cause mutations in the cells. These types of mutations are one of the factors that cause different types of cancer.
The color of the sweet potato is due to anthocyanin- which is an anti-inflammatory nutrient and sweet potato is abundant with it. If the inflammation is not treated it can lead to various chronic diseases and further health problems. And the best thing about sweet potato is that it has the power to heal both acute and chronic inflammation.
We can never get enough of these sweet potato muffins and every time we get a change we prepare them. We are certain that you will do the same.
Recipe for Sweet Potato Muffins
- 1 small organic sweet potato, roasted (1 cup, packed)
- ¾ cup of organic canned coconut milk
- ½ cup of pure organic maple syrup
- ¼ cup of organic coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 3 organic free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons of organic olive oil
- 1 cup of organic brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- ⅛ Teaspoon of ground cloves
- Heat the oven to 400 F and put a little oil in a tray with 12-hole for muffins.
- When the oven is heated to the needed temperature, make holes in the sweet potato and put them in the oven for about one hour or until they get soft on the middle rack. When the potato is cooked, take it from the oven and place it somewhere to cool.
- When the potato has cooled down, take the skin out from the potato and place the pulp into a bowl. You can throw the skin away, or you can eat it as a snack. The skin of the potato has the same nutrients and vitamins as the potato.
- Add the maple syrup, almond milk and olive oil in the bowl with the sweet potato and mix them well to get a smooth mixture. In another bowl, put all the dry ingredients and mix them well. Then combine the sweet potato with the mixed dry ingredients and mix until you get a homogenous mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin tray and fill the holes until they are ¾ full. Put them on the middle rack in the oven for about half an hour, or until they are well baked and do not leave marks-crumbs when you poke them inside with a knife.
There are many more tasty recipes for sweet potato and here are some of them:
- Guilt-Free Sweet Potato Fries
- Spicy Sweet Potato Hash
- Spiced Sweet Potato Quick Bread
- Delicious Avocado and Sweet Potatoe Brownies