This is just one part of a series of articles that will teach you how to grow particular food in your own garden. Some food can grow indoor and outdoor as well, it is your choice, but what’s more important is that you will have organic food and experience all the healthy benefits of food without any chemical contamination. You can also search for other super foods to grow at home. In this article you will discover how to grow herbs that enrich your vitamin level and lower the blood pressure.
Citrus fruits are rich on magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, potassium and various vitamins, and many more. Although they cannot be consumed as a single meal, they enrich the rest of the diet with numerous health benefits. Also, you should be careful of the amount you eat, because they are rich in sugar, and if you want a balanced diet you need to limit the amount of them.
It’s a trick actually, they are very beneficial, but on the other hand it is not recommended and healthy to over eat them.
Some citrus fruit can be grown easily than others, and luckily you can grow the best citrus fruits in your own garden. By doing this, you will notice the better quality and freshness they have than the bought ones and you certainly know that they are 100% free of chemicals which are used in non-organic growing. You are still confused about what we are talking about? These are the best citrus fruits:
Lemons are a type of super food that can also be grown in your home or in your garden, besides many other foods that you can grow at home. Also, lemons are highly beneficial and offer many healthy uses that they actually belong in a special group of fruits. It is also very favorable to have your own natural lemons at home and you can use them for anything, like using their peels or adding them in water to enhance the taste.
How to grow lemons at home?
It is best to start by buying a lemon baby tree- which is about 2-3 years old to have a bigger change for growing a great lemon fruit. When you buy the tree, you need to put it in a plastic or clay pot – it has to have holes in the bottom, but you need to put it in a pot which is bigger than the root ball of the tree. As the tree grows, you will need to plant it in a bigger pot, about 17-20 inches in diameter and 12-15 inches deep. When you put the lemon tree in the pot, you also need to put some stones in it in order to make sure that there is enough air flow. Then put soil on them. You should also know that there are specific soils for citrus fruit, and using those types of soils will give better results.
You need to prepare all this. Lemon tree needs about 8-10 hours of sunlight, and needs t be watered on a regular basis, but do not over water it. Lemons need about 6-9 months to be ready for harvesting, so you need to know that they are ripen when they achieve full color and a slight give to their touch.
There is another way you can grow lemons – from seed.
You should prepare these things if you want to grow your lemon tree at home:
- It is recommended to take organic lemon, because non-germinating seeds are contained in the non-organic ones.
- Prepare a fertile potting soil that is rich in natural fertilizers, perlite, vermiculite and peat.
- Planting pot about 6 inches deep and 6 inches wide.
- Seeding pot -12 inches deep and 24 inches wide.
- Indoor place with lots of sunlight and also a grow lamp.
These are the instructions for growing lemon tree at home:
- Keep the soil moisturized in order to be damp, but not too soaked.
- Then put the soil in the smaller pot until an inch below the rim.
- Then cut one lemon and take out the seed. Clean the seed from the pulp on the surface. You can do this by simply suck on it.
- Then plant the seed. It needs to be still moist when you plant it in the soil. Put the seed in the middle of the pot about one inch deep.
- Then take a spray bottle, and water the soil over the seed very gently.
- Then cover the pot with some plastic wrap, and put a rubber band to hold it tight, and use a pen or pencil to poke some holes in the wrap.
- Then put the pot some place sunny and warm.
- From time to time spray more water in for the soil not the get dried out. Be careful not to make the water puddle though. It just needs to be a little moist.
- Leave it like that for about two week, the time needed for the sproutling to get out, and then you can uncover the plastic wrap. You can also put a grow light to add additional light for the lemon to grow.
- In order for your lemon to grow, the soil must be damp, and it also needs about 8 hours or more of sunlight a day, and also you can add some organic fertilizer.
- You should also be careful for your lemon tree not to get attacked by diseases or bugs. Take out the dead, brown leaves if necessary. Provide a good protection to your lemon tree.
- When it becomes bigger, you need to plant it in a bigger pot. You need to re-plant it in the same way as the first time. Younger plants need to be watered more frequently than the older ones. You do not leave your tree not watered for a longer period, especially after all that effort you have put in to plant it in the first place.
You can also watch the video about the technique for growing lemon by the gardener Mitchell Boyle …
Mitchell Boyle has his own youtube channel, and there you can find various techniques about growing different plants and trees. He has various videos about growing bananas, avocado and even pineapple and kiwi.
In the video about growing lemon tree, he will teach you the tricks about growing one on your own and it actually works every time.
Many people love mandarins because they are abundant in fiber, magnesium, calcium, antioxidants and many more nutrients. They are very easy and simple to grow at home, and it will be nice to make a change from the ‘Florida’ oranges.
How to grow mandarins at home?
It is also recommended to start with a baby tree – 2-3years old, as we mentioned earlier with the lemon tree. They have bigger chance of surviving and growing than just starting with a simple procedure with mandarin seeds. The procedure is pretty much the same as the one we explained for lemon tree – prepare a pot and fill it with rock to allow air flow, and to have holes at the bottom for drainage. The mandarins also need a lot of direct sunlight.
You can also grow your mandarin tree inside your house because they do not grow more than 6 feet in height. They also need regular watering but do not over water them, and as soon as you notice that the roots get out of the holes at the bottom or grow back on themselves you need to re-plant them in a bigger pot. The mandarins are ready to be harvested when they get nice orange color, and if you leave them longer period their lovely flavor will die out.
Note: When you pick the mandarins, pay attention not to harm the little button at the top of the mandarin.
So that is all you need to know about growing these two delicious citrus fruits and enjoy their amazing taste.